Would you like to receive updates about children's events? Please sign up for our children's programming mailing list.
Many thanks to our Summer Library Program sponsors:
- Bank of New Glarus Board of Directors
- Country View Veterinary Service
- Culver's of New Glarus
- Dane County Fair
- Midwest Dental of New Glarus
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- New Glarus Community Foundation
- New Glarus Utilities
- New Glarus VFW Post 10549
- Old National Bank
- Phillipson & Uretsky Law Offices
- Schuster's Playtime Farm
- South Central Library System
- Stuessy-Kuenzi American Legion Post 141
- Sullivan Landscaping of Belleville
- Union Bank & Trust
New for 2018
Beginning September 10th, Music & Movement classes will be moving to Mondays at 10:15 AM. These interactive classes are perfect for active babies and toddlers. Why Music & Movement? According to Musikgarten, a leader in the field of early childhood music education, music serves many purposes:
- Music is a language, and children are oriented toward learning language.
- Music evokes movement, and children delight in and require movement for their development and growth.
- Music engages the brain while stimulating neural pathways associated with such higher forms of intelligence as abstract thinking, empathy, and mathematics.
- Music's melodic and rhythmic patterns provide exercise for the brain and help develop memory. Who among us learned the ABC's without the ABC song?
- Music is an aural art and young children are aural learners. Since ears are fully mature before birth, infants begin learning from the sounds of their environment before birth.
- Music is perfectly designed for training children's listening skills. Good listening skills and school achievement go hand in hand.
- Developmentally appropriate music activities involve the whole child-the child's desire for language, the body's urge to move, the brain's attention to patterns, the ear's lead in initiating communication, the voice's response to sounds, as well as the eye-hand coordination associated with playing musical instruments.
- Music is a creative experience which involves expression of feelings. Children often do not have the words to express themselves and need positive ways to release their emotions.
- Music transmits culture and is an avenue by which beloved songs, rhymes, and dances can be passed down from one generation to another.
- Music is a social activity which involves family and community participation. Children love to sing and dance at home and school.
New Interactive Table!
Many thanks to the Town of New Glarus for their generous gift of a Hatch Interactive WePlaySmart table. This exciting new addition to the children's area features more than 200 interactive games and activities, and it allows for multiple children to all play together. The cooperative nature of the games encourages social & emotional development, as well as helping children build skills in the areas of literacy, math, science, social studies, and art. The WePlaySmart table has replaced our old AWE children's computer.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Why 1,000 books?
"Everyone wants to do the best for their baby. Looking at books with your child every day is one of the most important things you can do for his/her future. Sharing books together strengthens your child's foundation for learning. Pointing at pictures in a book, saying rhymes, singing songs, writing words, and playing together makes your child more ready for school. Your baby's ability to learn grows from interacting with you, not a screen or educational toy. Plant the seed for lifelong learning by growing a reading relationship with your baby." -Growing Wisconsin Readers
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is open to all area children who have not yet started 5-year-old kindergarten. Participation is easy and free. Stop by the library or use our online registration form to sign up. Record each book you and your child read together on your reading log. You can count books heard at story time, daycare, and at school. In recognition of your reading achievements, your child will earn a book to keep at the 100, 300, 600, and 1,000 book levels. So what are you waiting for? Sign up today!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is supported in part by the New Glarus Community Foundation.
Toddler Story Time
Join Children's Librarian, Ignacia, for stories, songs, and activities! Story times are held on most Fridays at 10:15 AM, from September through May, in the Village Hall Community Room. See our online calendar for special summer story time dates.
Call the New Glarus Public Library Story Line @ 527-4363 to hear a folktale, poem or song at nap time, bedtime or anytime! Story Line is sponsored by the Friends of the New Glarus Public Library.