1986 Bank of New Glarus calendar

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.

The first newspaper was founded in 1897 by John Theiler.  It was printed in German and called "Der NewGlarus Bote." After 21 editions the name was changed to "Der Deutsch Schweizerische Courier."  In 1912 a second paper in English named "The New Glarus Post" was launched.  The papers were combined in 1917 with eight pages of German and four of English.  By 1919 it was printed entirely in English.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

The William Tell House, on the site of the present Flannery's Wilhelm Tell Supper Club located at 114 Second Street, was built in 1865.  M. Hoesly was the proprietor when this photo was taken.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

A downtown intersection as it was in the 1880s.  The building on the left was built in 1853 and served as the original New Glarus School.  On the right is the Swiss Reformed Church which was razed in 1900 to make way for the current church building.  The middle building was replaced by the present Zwingli House around 1924.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.

Water works installation was underway in 1902 shortly after the Village of New Glarus was officially chartered in 1901.  Until statehood in 1848, the settlement was part of York Township, Wisconsin Territory.  New Glarus became a township with its first election held in 1850.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

Following Swiss custom, alfalfa was cured in haycocks until it was thoroughly dry and could be stored safely in the barn hay mows.  The weighted cloths protected the alfalfa from rain.

This grain reaper was the last word in farm technology around the turn of the century.  It probably cost under $100 to buy (not including the horse).

Archival photos, New Glarus Historical Society

New Glarus loves a parade.  The top two pictures were taken in 1935 during the 90th anniversary celebration of the Swiss colony's settlement.  The lower photos were taken in 1915 at the 70th anniversary.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

Belleville vs. Monticello: In 1905 when this photo was taken, the Philadelphia team was tops in the American League while New York led the National League roster.  That was the year Ty Cobb began his career and Three Finger Brown, Christy Mathewson, and Honus Wagner were in their prime.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

The crowd entertained at the Shooting Park for the 1925 settlement celebration was typical of the time.  The building in the background still stands and was used as a shooting house.  THe doors along the wall were swung open and the shooters inside aimed at targets that would have been in the foreground area of this photo.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

The target shooters of the Wilhelm Tell Schutzen Verein pose for a portrait prior to 1914.  From left to right, standing: Marx Hoesly, John Theiler, Albert Schindler, Jake Bruni, Melchior Schmid, Robert Theiler, Harry Aebly, ? Theiler, Fred Stuessy.  Seated: Werner Zentner, ? Hefty, ? Gmur, Matt Schmid, Matt Hoesly, unknown.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

The 60th anniversary celebration in 1905 was attended by more than 8,000 people.  Fourteen rail cars were brought into the depot for the occasion.  The day consisted of a typical "Landesgemeine meeting" dinner, parade, and stage presentation of the founding of New Glarus.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

Although New Glarus has always been a bustling community, it never had streetcar service.  This trick photo of Second Street, formerly Ennenda Street, was made by early New Glarus photographer Sam Luchsinger.