1985 Bank of New Glarus calendar

(Photo courtesy of Sylvan and Viola Truttmann

Construction on the Bank of New Glarus was underway in the winter of 1910.  This building stood on the corner of First Street and Fifth Avenue until 1969 when the present bank was built on the site.  Standing in the corner doorway are three workmen (in the background) and (from left to right in the foreground) S.A. Schindler, Bartholomew Kundert, T.C. Hefty, and Thomas R. Hefty.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  "The Band." 

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  This 1907 view of the village shows the first school house and the Swiss United Church of Christ in the background.  In the foreground is Fifth Avenue.  The brick building with steps used to be a printshop.  The building with the skylights in the lower right was a store known as Schindler Enterprises.

(Photo courtesy of Eugene Stuessy)

New Glarus Hardware Store.  Back in 1913, Fred A. Stuessy, Albert Schlatter, and Josh Hoesly built the New Glarus Hardware Store and supplied it with the necessities of the day.  The store was jam-packed with everything from nickel plated stoves to sterling silver teaspoons.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  First Settlers Monument.  With Governor Phillips in attendance, everyone turned out for the unveiling of the First Settlers Monument in 1915.  The occasion was the 70th anniversary of the settlement of New Glarus by Swiss colonists.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  This picture taken on a glass negative sometime around 1895 predates fast film and diesel powered combines by 50 years or more.  All action had to stop for the photographer, which probably accounts for the posed look of this type of picture.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  This is how First Street looked sometime between 1899 and 1906.  In 1906 Tschudy's General Store was moved across First Street to become Kehrli's Cheese Store.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  "Picnic Grove"

(Photo courtesy of Eugene Stuessy)

And just to show that in the "olden days" kids were still kids, here are two very young volunteer fire fighters.  Ken Hoesly is at the wheel and Gene Stuessy is ready with the hose.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society

In 1899 the Green County Civil War veterans got together for a Soldiers and Sailors Reunion.  The constumed ladies symbolize the partnership between America and Switzerland.

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  This 1913 vintage "school bus" was driven by George Rolf and contains the children of the Farmer's Grove School.  The school is now in the Swiss Historical Village. 

Archival photo, New Glarus Historical Society.  Sunday dinner circa 1895.  The carved ice box and recessed dish cupboard are typical of the cabinetwork of the time.