Our summer reading program is open to children ages two through eighteen. Children participating in the preschool and elementary programs must be registered by a parent/grandparent/caregiver. Students participating in the teen program do not need parental permission to participate.
2014 Summer Library Reading Programs @ New Glarus Public Library
• The reading theme this year is “Fizz, Boom, Read!” and the program is open to children entering grades 1-5. Children ages 2-5 may participate in the preschool “Fizz, Boom, Read-to-Me!” program. Kids entering 6th grade have a teen reading program called “Spark a Reaction.” Registration lasts from Monday, June 2 – through the end of July. Reading prizes may be redeemed from Monday, June 9 – Saturday, August 9. (After Aug. 9 we can be lenient if someone says they were on vacation, out-of-town, etc.)
1. New! The form is online this year. Parents could fill it out at home, on a laptop at the library, or staff can fill it out at the desk. It could be a parent/guardian, a grandparent or adult daycare provider. Anyone else, please ask.
2. New! No numbers this year! Just write your child’s name on their reading log.
3. Teens can sign themselves up, no parental permission required.
• Material can be anything… books, audiobooks, magazines, comic books, or even ebooks/ audiobooks from OverDrive for your PC or tablet.
• New! Books don’t have to be from the library.
• We ask that books be at or above their reading level.
1. When reading aloud to a younger child, both children are able to count the time towards their summer reading.
• Each symbol is 15 minutes (30 min for teens). A parent, responsible adult, or baby sitter must initial each line completed (no initial needed for teens).
1. When a week is completed library staff will count it and put the child’s first name on a die-cut circle and add it to our caterpillar.
2. Although kids can read ahead, they can only bring in Week 1’s reading starting during Week 1, Week 2’s reading starting during Week 2, etc.
• At Level 4 children will receive an envelope with a variety of youth passes and a reading certificate. (Teens get an envelope with passes/coupons, but no certificate.) Only one pass per organization per child will be issued.
• After Level 8 is complete, children will earn a book to keep, a book to donate to the library and an invitation to the library Carnival! We can also hand them a bonus sheet which they can use to earn bonus tickets for use at the Carnival.
1. Each activity you complete on the bonus sheet must be marked by a parent/caregiver.
• If a reading log is lost, we can replace it at the library.
• The weekly T-shirt drawing is for all the programs combined and begins each Monday. All children redeeming the current week’s reading will earn an entry form to enter the drawing. Two winners will be drawn from all eligible entries received on time. You may only win one T-shirt this summer.