2008 Bank of New Glarus calendar

(Photo courtesy of Kim Tschudy)

Ellen Hefty is shown here, displaying a request for information sent to the New Glarus Tourism Committee.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Post)

Construction started on the Chalet Landhaus in the summer of 1979, at the former site of the A&W Root Beer stand.  The original building has 47 rooms.  The bar was originally the coffee shop and breakfast area.  Later on, four rooms were taken out to build the present restaurant.  The original coffee shop was also used to serve cheese fondue on Friday and Saturday evenings.  Theresa and Ernie Jaggi were the hosts and Theresa made the famous fondue.  The original owners were the architect, Stu Gallagher, Toni Zeuger, Ruedi Roher, and Hans Lenzlinger.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

Photographed in 1981, at the groundbreaking for the current New Glarus Fire Department, are (left to right): Assistant Chief David Wild, Ron Martinson, John Ott, Assistant Chief Russell Reuters, Pete Ott, Chief Bernie Wild, and architect Stu Gallagher.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

The Wilhem Tell Schuzen Verein, sometime before 1914.  Standing, left to right: Marx Hoesly, John Theiler, Albert Schindler, Jake Bruni, Melchoir Schmid, Robert Theiler, Henry Aebly, ? Theiler, Fred Stuessy.  Seated: Werner Zentner, ? Hefty, ? Gmur, Matt Schmid, Matt Hoesly, unknown.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

New Glarus Civil War Veterans, photo taken in 1914.  Left to right: Abraham Disch, John Ulrich Rhyner, Tom Schmid, Oswald Babler, Fridolin Streiff, and Caspar Altman.

(Photo courtesy of Kim Tschudy)

This photo appears to be taken in fall in the early 1950s, judging from the age of the Studebaker car shown on the right side of the photo.  Behind the fence, the Weiser family had a large garden, from which the Weiser siblings sold fresh produce.  They were noted for their excellent sweet corn, which they hauled downtown in a coaster wagon.  The beautiful painted sign on the side of the Upright Swiss Embroidery Factory graced the side of the building for many years.

(Photo courtesy of David Derendinger)

John and Marie Derendinger family photo, taken about 1902.  Seated, left to right: Frieda, Sophie, Marie, John, Ida, and Charles.  Standing: Rose, Jack, and Mary.  The family operated a farm in the New Glarus area.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Post)

A scene from the Wilhelm Tell drama, early 1970s.  Left to right: Doris Arn, portraying Hatwig, Tell's wife; Ernest Thierstein, portraying Walter Furst; Andy Sager (kneeling), portraying Walter Tell; Edward J. Willi, portraying Baron von Attinghausen; and Marion Streiff, portraying Attinghausen's servant.

(Photo courtesy of Kim Tschudy)

Shown is the Werner Stauffacher farm, located at the current corner of Industrial Drive and Highway 69.  Werner worked as a milk tester at Pet Milk in New Glarus for many years.  He was noted for the rare breed of chickens he raised on his farm.  In later years, a number of young New Glarus women kept their horses at his farm.  Until Highway 69 was moved to its current route, access to the Stauffacher farm, as well as the nearby Streiff farm, was from a small access road which ran from the New Glarus Feed and Fuel Mill to the farms.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

Shown here, the Village celebrates the 80th anniversary of its settlement in 1845.  Look carefully at the center of the photo, you will see the crowd paying close attention to a band playing under the small shelter.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

The "Pet Milk Houses," shown here near completion, were built during the winter of 1916-17.  The houses were built on "half a block of land" purchased by the Helvetica Milk Condensing Company (later the Pet Milk Company) from Jacob Legler.  An article in the December 1, 1916 edition of the New Glarus Post stated, "The company has experienced that employees who "stick" are better than the "wandering" ones, and as there is a scarcity of living rooms here, building became a necessity."  Pet Milk closed its doors in New Glarus in February 1962.

(Photo courtesy of the New Glarus Historical Society)

Taken in 1893 or 1894, left to right: Margaret Caldwell Carteron, Robert Luchsinger, Mina Oliver Luchsinger, Eugene Carteron.  Note the detailed band uniforms.